Monday 15 April 2013

Terra cotta dishes

I love the look of this terra cotta dad dish from that artist woman. I made some little dishes out of clay that turned out all right, but these ones looked so good, I gave it a try. Here's a quick tutorial:

First I bought some dishes from Michael's. These were the second smallest size and cost me about 2 bucks for both of them. The hardest part was getting that darn sticker off the bottom!

I painted the bottom red with two coats of acrylic paint. This colour is called "Red Apple Barrel" and it's so lovely and bright. When that was dry, I painted the inside with two coats of white.

I found a big can of lentil beans that fit into the dish and traced it out on my paper.

Then I used Mod Podge to stick the paper to the bottom of the dish. I find it's best to apply Mod Podge to all surfaces: the back of the paper, the bottom of the dish, and then around the inside of the dish entirely.


I let that dry overnight, then sealed it all with varnish.

Here it is, not quite dry.

Done! I made a matching key chain too.

Here are a couple more I made, of the smaller size. They're great little dishes, good for catching keys and coins when you're running in and out the front door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment